Stories about Bears Ears, sharks, vaquitas, an extinct bat and the Endangered Species Act resonated with our readers this year.
What a year. 2017 sometimes felt like a nonstop assault on the environment, but it was our job to get the news out there, good and bad.
That meant bringing you stories about everything from sharks and snails to Bears Ears National Monument and beyond. Here they are, our 10 most-read articles for 2017, as clicked by you, our valued readers:
1. Snails Are Going Extinct: Here’s Why That Matters
2. Florida Anglers Are Targeting Endangered Sharks
3. The Last Vaquitas: “I’ve Seen More Dead Than Alive”
4. The Fungus Killing America’s Bats: “Sometimes You’ll See Piles of Dead Bats”
5. Does Trump Really Have the Authority to Shrink National Monuments?
6. Scientists: The Endangered Species Act Needs You
7. Killer Whales Face Killer Toxins
8. Christmas Island Bat, Last Seen in 2009, Confirmed Extinct
9. The Roots of the Antiquities Act? They’re in Bears Ears
10. Rethinking the Big, Bad Wolf
What were your favorites? Did anything you enjoyed reading not make the list? Let us know in the comments. And stay tuned for even more great articles — good news and bad — in the New Year to come.